If you’ve seen the movie Inception, you might have been distracted by all the visual splendor and missed this poignant quote. Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s character Arthur is having a hard time fending off the bad guys with his small gun, so Tom Hardy’s Eames pulls out a grenade launcher and entreats him to “dream a little bigger, darling.” In the context of the movie, the quote literally means to dream of bigger things, but I love that it can also represent the fact that we are all able to push our dreaming to the limits and conjure up whatever it is we really need in our lives.
As I shared on Monday, 2013 is a year that I want to reach for the stars and push myself to dream bigger. To that end, I’m going to be brave and post some business goals here in the hopes that you all will hold me accountable and the universe will bless me with a little magic to make it all come true.
In 2013, I want to:
- Second shoot a ton of weddings. As someone who was never a “wedding person” until she got married, I have found that I absolutely love shooting weddings. The strong bond between the couple, the hope, the joy, the excitement, the dancing and craziness, the quiet private moments…weddings are definitely where my heart is at. I also love working with talented and experienced photographers in a fast-paced environment, which makes second shooting a perfect fit for me right now. I already have a few weddings lined up for 2013 that I am extremely excited about and I hope to spend the entire year at weddings.
- Photograph a wedding as the primary photographer. With several weddings already under my belt, I would LOVE to be the primary photographer for a wedding this year. I feel confident that I can handle it, but I know it’s also going to take a little luck to find a couple that’s willing to take a chance on me. Photography was one of the most important things to me for my own wedding so I know that it’s a huge honor and responsibility but I really feel ready to make this leap.
- Photograph 20 portrait/family/newborn sessions. Weddings are very special but I also love photographing couples, families and babies. Having the time to really get to know my clients, pose them in flattering ways and get really creative is such a fulfilling experience for me. Stephen has helped me put together a new newborn setup and I am really looking forward to working on more portrait sessions this year. I finally have time to scout new locations and come up with new, creative techniques. 2013 is going to be an awesome year for my portraiture work.
- Work with 3 photographers I admire. I have been really blessed to have made friends with some amazing photographers over the last few years. They have already helped me so much with advice and encouragement but in 2013 I would like to find a way to actually work with at least 3 photographers who I look up to. Whether that means second shooting, attending a workshop, starting an official mentorship relationship or helping them with workflow outsourcing, I want to make even stronger relationships with these photographers this year.
- Expand my graphic design services. I have a degree in Communications with a specialization in advertising which included courses in editing and media production. I love doing post-processing on photographs and designing paper products for print. I’m already working on an invitation suite for one of my best friends’ weddings and an album for another friend. I would really like to expand this side of business in 2013.
- Nail down the essence of my business and update my branding. I have a lot of soul searching to do before I can revamp my branding but I really want 2013 to be the year that I figure out exactly who my ideal client is and work towards marketing directly to them. I suspect that the “behind the scenes” part of this will take most of the year but I hope to have it worked out and a new look launched by the end of the year.
What do you want to accomplish in 2013?